what is thesis statemet xname
1. Thesis statements must make a claim or argument. They are not statements of fact.
Political Science/JSIS/LSJ Writing Center
Arguable thesis statement:
A thesis statement is not a statement of fact.
Note how this thesis statement makes its claim in two sentences. Its argument centers on how women characters are vilified when they reject a man, and its evidence will be interactions between characters in Shakespeare’s play.
The term thesis statement is generally used by teachers and students in junior high, high school, and college, especially in English, Social Studies, and other classes in the humanities.
Consult the example below for suggestions on how to refine your draft thesis statement.
- Ask if your draft thesis addresses the assignment
- Question each part of your draft thesis
- Clarify vague phrases and assertions
- Investigate alternatives to your draft thesis
- Brainstorm your topic: take a sheet of paper and write down everything that comes to your mind on it.
- Limit it to a specific area.
- Make it a question and (surprise-surprise!) answer it. Ta da! The answer is exactly what your thesis statement will be.